Contributed by Sujata Mohanty of San Jose, CA
1 cup moong dal (small seeds)
1 onion cut to thick slices
3/4 garlic cloves (crushed)
2/3 green chilly (slit)
1 medium tomato (cut to thick slices)
Vegetables: Potato, papaya, green beans,
eggplant, zucchini or Janhi, plantain,
Yellow squash cut to 1" pieces
Pancha phutana ( jeera, methi, kala jeera, mustard, caraway seeds)
2 tbs cooking oil (olive oil)
1. Boil Moong dal with 3 cups of water.
2. When it is 3/4 cooked add all vegetables, onion and green chilies.
3. Cover and cook till the vegies are done. Remove from fire.
4. In another pan heat oil. Add Paancha phutana. When it starts spluttering
add crushed garlic. Fry till it is golden brown and then add tomato. Fry
for 5 more
5. Add the garlic tomato fry to the dal and cover it for few min before
Back to Oriya Kitchen Home